This is an exciting time for the CWA Canada-CUP program — we’ve signed up over 200 members, paired nearly 100 CUPpies with mentors, and set up many training, freelance and networking opportunities (read more about our work here).
We would like your input on where you would like to see the program go from here. We’re putting together a steering committee that will advise CUP and CWA Canada on what services should be offered through the program, and on what issues and campaigns you think we should be working on (from unpaid internships at CBC, to unfair freelance contracts, to getting more work opportunities for young journalists).
This is a chance to make your voice heard by the union you belong to, and to make a concrete difference on issues that impact you as young media workers.
What sitting on this committee will involve:
- A commitment until May 2014.
- Bi-monthly conference call meetings
- Potential opportunity to attend CWA Canada conventions in the spring.
The primary role of the committee will be to:
- Give input on what mentorship, training and networking opportunities this program should be offering to student journalists.
- Decide on the issues that this program should focus on: from internships, to equity in the workplace, to fair freelance contracts, etc.
If you’re interested in sitting on the committee, please apply here for a position.